Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Gamera vs. Gamera: A New Short Play


SCENE ONE

(The streets of Tokyo. A Gamera is breathing fire and destroying every building in sight. The citizens of Toyko watch helplessly.)

Man: Oh no! What's wrong with Gamera?

Woman: I don't know! Why has he turned against us? I thought he was our friend!

Man: Watch out! There goes the high rise!

Woman: Can't someone do anything?

(We hear a chorus of children singing "Gamera! Gamera! The Man points into the air.)

Man: Look!

(Another Gamera hovers above the skyline like a flying saucer.)

Woman: Another Gamera?

Man: Come on, let's leave!

Woman: But I want to watch!

Man: Don't you see the hordes of terrified people running the opposite direction?

(Hordes of screaming people run past the Man and Woman.)

Woman: But I wanna watch!

Man: No! Anyway, I need to look at my insurance policy. I know I'm covered for Mothra and Rodan related destruction, but Gamera vs. Gamera? I could lose everything!

(The Man and Woman exit. The flying saucer Gamera lands. He approaches the Evil Gamera who is still knocking over buildings.)

Gamera: Screech! (Stop it! You, monster, you...another Gamera?)

Evil Gamera: Screech! (That's right. Now get out of the way, I'm busy.)

Gamera: Screech! (You have to stop, you're endangering lives!)

Evil Gamera: Screech! (But I have a lot of aggression, this is the best way to get it out.

Gamera: Screech! (Stop! What's wrong?)

Evil Gamera: Screech! (Man doesn't understand Gameras' plight.)

Gamera: Screech! (But we have to help humans, they're so puny and helpless. And they're not so bad once you get to know them.)

Evil Gamera: Screech! (What are you talking about? Humans haven't done anything for us! They cause pollution! Make animals go extinct! Don't you wonder why there are only two of us?)

Gamera: Screech! (I thought I was the only one...)

Evil Gamera: Screech! (There were a lot more of us once. But then the humans-)

Gamera: Screech! (Are you sure that Gyaos or Super Monster didn't have anything to do with it?)

Evil Gamera: Screech! (No, it was the humans. Now why don't you help me stomp and kick some buildings? It's really fun!)

Gamera: Screech! (No! Stop!)

(Gamera pulls Evil Gamera away from the buildings.)

Evil Gamera: Screech! (You wanna fight? All right, I'll fight!)

(Gamera and Evil Gamera fight. This goes on for quite some time (maybe a little contact improve can be thrown in?). Finally Gamera takes the Evil Gamera by the tail and hurls him into space. The people cheer.)

Crowd: Hooray, Gamera! Thank you so much!

(Gamera weeps.)

Gamera: I'm always going to be alone!

(Gamera weeps more and more. El fin.)

No comments:

Post a Comment