Thursday, May 5, 2011

Rei Kawakubo

I've been reading John Water's books of essays, Role Models. It's great read and why wouldn't it be? John Waters is all kinds of wonderful. He makes super cool movies, he introduced the world to Divine, I've been told he smells good (according the girl at the register at Book Soup), and he was in one of the greatest episodes of The Simpsons ever:


Anyway, in his new book, he's got a chapter about his favorite fashion designer Rei Kawakubo. Kawakubo is a Japanese designer who founded Commes des Garcons. How does Mr. Waters describe Kawakubo's clothes?

"She specializes in clothes that are torn, crooked, permanently wrinkled, ill-fitting and expensive. What used to be called "seconds" (clothes that were on sale in bargain basements of department stores because of accidental irregularities) is now called "couture." Ms. Kawakubo is my god."

John Waters isn't Kawakubo's only fan. Tiny fashion blogger Tavi (14 years old and has already had a New Yorker profile, gee whiz, http://www.thestylerookie.com/) also raves about her.

Let's take a look at her latest collections:

Ready To Wear Fall 2011:






Fellas, don't think I forgot about you. Menswear Fall 2011:



Would you wear any of these things on the street? Probably not. But after watching every single season of Project Runway, I've learned a little something about fashion. Fashion is about ART. Arty artsy artistic art. It doesn't have to be practical.

Again, like I said in my Lolita fashion post, I think I'd like to see a world where people wore this kind of thing on a daily basis. You might ask, Rachel, why don't you do that? Well I'll tell you. I'm not a trend setter. And I'm lazy. But I'd love to gawk and marvel at people wearing this kind of thing. Someone do it. Set the trend!

No comments:

Post a Comment