Sunday, April 10, 2011

Hello Rachel

So I don't know how many people remember a little show called Lisa Loeb #1 Single that was on the E! Network in 2006. In case you don't remember, here's a synopsis: Lisa Loeb, singer/songwriter most famous for her song "Stay" from the Reality Bites soundtrack, is looking for love. Sadly for her, all the guys she went out with on the show were super lame. If I remember correctly, she didn't end up with anyone on the show.

The two things that I do remember from the show are:

1. Lisa Loeb had super cute glasses. I kinda wish I had vision problems so I could wear cool glasses like her.

2. She owned a bunch of Hello Kitty crap. Not just a couple things, but the big ticket items. I know she had the toaster, she might even have had the vacuum cleaner.

She even made a Hello Kitty music video:


I wonder how Lisa Loeb's Hello Kitty obsession began. All I know is that once it starts, it keeps snowballing into something bigger and bigger. Hello Kitty cannot be stopped.

I too am the owner of a number of Hello Kitty items. I did not actively seek out Hello Kitty, the Hello Kitty lifestyle was thrusted upon me by generous friends over Christmases and birthdays. Without much effort on my part, the collection keeps growing and growing.

Now for a bunch of probably not really interesting stories/observations about a selection of my Hello Kitty possessions.



The alarm clock: My family owns an inn (http://www.royalcopenhageninn.com/, you're welcome, Dad). Once a long time ago (when I was in middle school) a Japanese woman was staying there. She lost her wallet, but someone working there found it and she was very grateful. So she went back to Japan and started sending me presents, even though I had never met her and I had absolutely nothing to do with finding the wallet. It was great! And random! But she was really really happy she got her wallet back, so she kept sending presents. She sent a tiny garland of paper cranes and a beautiful calendar, a figurine of a bunny in a pink kimono (this must have been 1999, the last year of the rabbit), and a Hello Kitty alarm clock.

I've used the alarm clock ever since. It's easy to set the time. The alarm is annoying enough to wake me up, but not annoying enough for me to completely hate hearing it in the mornings.

Hello Kitty pajama pants (modeled by me). I marvel at the amount of Hello Kitties. They must be having some sort of convention.

Hello Kitty socks: Unfortunately for the Hello Kitties, once I put the socks on, the Hello Kitties get super stretched out and distorted because I have fat calves.

Hello Kitty Mirror: It's a bitch to open. I have to jam my fingernail in and kind of slide and wiggle my thumb for it to open.

Oh hello!

The Hello Kitty Waffle Iron: the pièce de résistance.

Not only is the outside of the waffle maker shaped like Hello Kitty, it makes Hello Kitty shaped waffles. They're delightful. It's a bitch to clean though, man oh man.

2 comments: