Thursday, April 28, 2011

Studio Ghibli Part 1!

Do you know about Hayao Miyazaki, one of the greatest animators of all time? Or his animation company, Studio Ghibli? Because you should. I'm sure you at least know about Spirited Away, but there's oh so many more! You should watch them all! But you're probably not going to listen to me. Will you listen to Pixar's John Lasseter? He says the same thing. "Watch them all!" demands John Lasseter!

I'm going to give you an overview of all these movies that you need to see. There's a lot of damn Studio Ghibli Movies, so I'm going to split this up if you don't mind. Studio Ghibli 1984-1992. Let's do this!


Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (1984)

So this isn't officially a Studio Ghibli movie, they made it right before they created the studio, but I'm going to lump it in with all the others because it is the beginning of the beginning.

Nausicca is an insanely relevant film about the dangers of war and destroying the environment. It seems so topical, even though it was made 27 years ago. This might seem like an odd comparison, but it reminded me of when I saw Network for the first time. This is still happening now. People knew it was going to happen. Why aren't we paying attention? The movies were warning us, people!

Also, there's lots of super cool flying scenes on mini personal gliders and giant airships. Fantastic visuals.


Castle in the Sky (1986)

Originally called Laputa in Japan (had to change that due to its similarity to una palabra muy mala de espanol), this film was Miyazki's first official Studio Ghibli film. We've still got some environmental themes going on and more flying sequences! This time with sky pirates! And there's robots!

There's a question whether you should watch this one with the American dubbing. You've got James Van Der Beek doing the most annoying voice acting ever. But then Mark Hamill is the villain, so it's kinda win/lose no matter which way you go with it. No, James Van Der Beek is just so damn annoying. Watch it with the subtitles.


My Neighbor Totoro (1988)

So this is classic. And adorable. And dark (why is the mother in the hospital? Is it related to the war? Methinks maybe?) It's just simple and wonderful. You get to see post-war Japanese life (I think it takes place sometime in the 1950s) and a magic cat bus. Yes, you heard me right. There is a cat bus.

We also have Totoro to thank for this: Compare and contrast!


And no parody would be complete without a song:



That Miyazaki touch can sneak up on you anywhere!



Grave of the Fireflies (1988)

Did you just watch the clip? Did it depress you like hell? Of course it did. Just to let you know, that adorable little girl DIES. I didn't spoil the movie for you. They tell you at the beginning. Because you need the warning.

This film was directed by Miyazaki's partner Isao Takahata. Yes, it's beautiful, yes, it's a wonderful anti-war film, but just know what you're getting into when you pop the DVD in.

For some reason this was a double feature with Totoro. It's heavy stuff for me. I'm wondering how the three-year-olds handled it.



Kiki's Delivery Service (1989)

One of my favorite Studio Ghibli movies. She's a witch and it's the 1960s in Scandinavia? Count me in!

It deals with important issues like believing in yourself. And becoming friends with cool artists who live in forest cabins who control birds.

And guess what? More Miyazaki flying, this time on brooms and bicycles!



Only Yesterday (1991)

That's all you're getting.

I haven't seen Only Yesterday and none of you will be able to see it because Disney won't release the because they talk about periods. Oh my God, periods! Hide your children! They mustn't know! Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!

Apparently they showed it on Turner Classic Movies like 6 years ago, but then they never showed it EVER AGAIN. I heard it's a very touching movie, but I guess I won't find out for myself until Disney gets over menarche.



Porco Rosso (1992)

This Miyazaki movie is more for grown-ups. A WWI flying ace has been transformed into a pig (how and why, we never find out, but it doesn't matter).

The only issue I have with the film is that it ends very abruptly, which probably has something to do with the fact that it was originally produced as a short movie for an airline. I really wanted another 20 minutes of story, I just loved the world so much.

Also. Michael Keaton as Porco Rosso? Balla.

Part 2: Coming soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment