Sunday, April 10, 2011

Where have you been all my life?

I have the worst circulation in the world. Like really bad. I'm always always always (unless it's over 80 degrees) FREEZING. I layer it up most of the time. I almost always turn on the seat warmer in my car.

But my poor feet. They suffer the most. My feet pretty much always feel like they're 20 degrees colder than the rest of my body.

There are several ways I deal with this. I wear long thick socks all of the time. I stick my feet as close as I can to heater vents.

So imagine my delight and joy when I found out about kotatsus.


I saw my first kotatsu (but didn't know it) in the Studio Ghibli film My Neighbors the Yamadas. I thought it was just a normal table with some kind of weird tablecloth/blanket on it. I wasn't sure. Then I saw another kotatsu in the film The Emperor's Naked Army Marches On (a documentary with a completely different tone). Short tables with tablecloth/blankets were popping up everywhere, but I still didn't know what they were.

Thankfully Velina did! She told our class these were no normal tables but kotatsus! For those who don't know what a kotatsu is, it's an amazing table that has a heater, an honest to goodness heater, inside. A blanket traps the heat. Stick your feet in and you'll be nice and toasty. You can even take a nap under one!

Of course once I found out a heater was involved, I wanted one immediately. So I did a little Google Shopping research. This is what I found:

This product has a 1 star rating. Do you know why? Because it isn't a kotatsu. There is no heater. Amazon, you are dumb.

If I happen to get more obsessed with my Re-Ment forest creatures (see the previous post), I could consider buying them a Re-Ment kotatsu. Look at the detail (please don't let me get that obsessed)!

And now to leave you with something warm and fuzzy and kotatsu-related:

In:


And out:



1 comment:

  1. I want to lick myself like a cat under a kotatsu! I'm serious. I spend enough time on the floor. And with cats. And I'm always cold , too. It's inevitable.

    ReplyDelete